Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving

This week we all decided to get sick from Tommy. Millie got it Tuesday and then I got it later that day and Wednesday and unfortunately for Maizy she got it on Thanksgiving. This meant that no in-laws could come because Con is still having his immune system killed so he won't reject the bone marrow. Bright and early Thursday morning our neighbor came over and he and Joel killed Thanksgiving. I only cried when I thought of how scared he must have been. When Joel finally brought a mostly gutted and mostly plucked turkey into the house we realized how big he really was! I helped finish the gutting (which I have to admit was REALLY interesting) and we weighed him. We couldn't believe he was 43 lbs! We used our branch trimmers to cut him in half and he still wouldn't fit in our enormous roaster. I cut around his legs and then broke them off and it just about killed Joel to hear that crunching noise. We finally got him in and just half of it had to cook for 7 hours! Good thing Aleisa has a meat thermometer. It was a weird Thanksgiving. Maizy was in the living room on the couch, Tommy was asleep, Millie was still sick so she just sat there, Miles wasn't impressed by the meal and Joel and I had picked too much and sat down full. We did eat the freshest meat I have ever eaten! Then Saturday we decided to head down to Temple Square. We got a room in Little America which I have to admit was fairly impressive. The girls were in heaven that it was fancy (we didn't break it to them that it was about the same price as a Motel 6). Most importantly it had a GREAT pool and hot tub! Maizy and I went to Music and the Spoke Word on Sunday and I LOVED it! Maizy chose it over swimming and was excited she got to see the Mormon Tabernacle choir in person and so close. Favorite story of the weekend. I was standing on the side of the pool and Joel was about 10 or 15 feet from me. I was holding Tommy and threw him to him. Tommy rotated in the air so Joel couldn't catch him so his head went all the way under. I told him to give him to me again so we could do it without Tommy being scared. I threw him again, Joel caught him and Tommy LOVED it. Not a second after Joel caught Tommy, Miles was there grabbing Tommy, hugging him and glaring at me. Then he pointed at me and yelled at the top of his lungs "STOP IT! STOP IT!" he was so mad we had done that to Tommy and he wasn't letting us do it again! We laughed and I teased him and said "Joel hand Tommy to me, I will throw him to you again" Miles wouldn't let go of Tommy and yelled at me again. Good big brother. Luckily Tommy knew Miles was being nice and gave him a hug. We forgot our camera so this is a picture of the three oldest ones at the pond with the floating lights from Joel's iPhone. These are Miles: Sad, Surprised an Happy faces and the kids on the way home from a whole weekend of swimming and walking.
 I strategically left the slit throat out of this picture.
Tommy is having nightmares about a chicken in his bed and gets so hysterical when we put him down that he can't breathe. He wants me to rock him to sleep in the rocker which he has NEVER wanted before. Tonight I was rocking him and he said "Sleep in chair, don't want sleep in bed. Chicken in bed" When I explained to him AGAIN there was never a chicken in his crib he said "Chickens in coop. Daddy put chickens in coop" but that didn't help. Poor kid may be scarred for life!

2 comments:

  1. This is Kristie. I cannot believe how huge that turkey is! Was! Turkey sandwiches for weeks for you, huh? excited to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa that Turkey!!! I am proud of Joel for taking him out. That poor little thing just thought he was adopted into a fun family and then whack! How lame that you were all sick for the holiday, but HOW CUTE is miles protecting Tommy! Such cute kids that I need to see right now!!!

    ReplyDelete